- HRC WEEKLY PULSE -
The PULSE is HRC's weekly publication. It outlines details from our regularly scheduled ministries and provides necessary updates for our congregation to stay in the loop - week in and week out.
- OUR STORY-
10 slides of where we've been and where God is taking us.
Way back in 1887 the Rabbit River village welcomed the birth of a new congregation known as First Reformed Church. 86 Dutch immigrants, most of whom came from Overisel Reformed Church, arrived at FRC with a single ambition: to share the gospel with the people of Allegan county.
By the time FRC had planted its first church in 1912 just 5.5 miles south of town (Dunningville Reformed, 1912) the county had begun to see exciting new growth. And while developments along the river brought new businesses, homes, and families it also brought conflict; particularly around the issue of speaking English.
Tensions began to rise within the community between the first wave of settlers (who spoke Dutch) and the second wave of settlers (who spoke English) as to what language should be spoken during worship services. As an act of compromise, FRC planted a church in town where people could speak English in worship hour without feeling judged (American Reformed Church, 1913).
Historical notes show that FRC and ARC remained in a good relationship over the years even while they disagreed about the place of English in their way of life. After the belltower of ARC was struck by lightning in 1944 and burned the entire building to the ground the two churches merged into a new congregation...this time with services in English.
It was in this context that the church received a new building and name: Hamilton Reformed Church. For the next 50+ years, HRC renewed its focus on spreading the Gospel in Allegan county and became regionally known for its strong biblical teaching, flourishing ministry programs, and thriving church-family life.
It was within this context that a new Hamilton Reformed Church was born. And for the next 50+ years, HRC ministered powerfully in the area; becoming regionally known for its strong preaching, its flourishing church family, and hands-on mission activities; including the construction of Haven Reformed Church (Hamilton,1958-61) and reconstruction of Calvary Reformed Church (Cleveland, OH) in 2007.
At present, HRC has roughly 350 members and employs around 12 members of staff. Energy and resources are being invested in the mission of the church so that more people can get connected to God's family, Word, and way of life. To learn more about where God is leading our church and how you can get connected click HERE.